Berringa Super Manuka 120+ MGO 500g
Suitable for every day use
Berringa’s 100% Australian Manuka Honey MGO120+ is a mild strength bioactive honey suitable for every day use.
It contains natural enzymes and antioxidants and is perfect as an additive for foods and drinks, or it can be taken by itself (we recommend between 1-3 spoons daily).
Like all Berringa’s antibacterial Manuka Honey, each batch is tested by independent NATA accredited laboratories, so you can be sure when it says MGO120+ the methylglyoxal level is at least that.
Berringa’s range of 100% Australian Manuka Honey is one of life’s great ‘finds’!
All Berringa Manuka Honey contains natural enzymes and antioxidants, but Berringa is also available in a range of antibacterial strengths, as measured by MGO (methylglyoxal). So there’s a Berringa Manuka Honey for a range of health and wellbeing needs.
For a comparative guide to work out which Berringa Manuka is best for you, the chart below is a useful quick guide.
The example highlighted is Berringa Manuka Honey MGO120+ – a milder grade that is very suitable for every day use.
Manuka buffs will know many of the uses for Manuka Honey, but further down the page we have listed most of the applications we have heard about, based on user feedback and anecdotal evidence.
If you’re keen to know more about the origins of Manuka honey, here’s some more background information.
Manuka honey comes from tea tree plants, in particular Leptospermum polygalifolium in Australia and Leptospermum scoparium in New Zealand.
Over the years there has been some controversy around how to differentiate varying types of Manuka honey. It’s taken a lot of time, money and effort, but there are now clear methods and guidelines to ensure Berringa sources Manuka honey that is pure and authentic. Key naturally occurring chemical markers identified in honey and nectar are now used to classify Manuka honey. These markers include MGO, dihydroxyacetone (DHA) and Leptosperin, which are present in Berringa Manuka Honey in a range of concentrations.
So what makes Manuka honey different from the regular honey you put on your toast?
Aside from its origin, Manuka honey also looks different to regular honey. It’s thicker or more viscous, and typically darker in colour.
Some people can find some brands of Manuka honey slightly bitter and/or too ‘gritty’, but the overwhelming response we have had to
the Berringa Manuka Honey range is that it really tastes great (another reason to choose Berringa).
What makes Berringa 100% Australian Manuka Honey so special?
Manuka Honey, like regular honey, has antibacterial effects which result from its ability to produce hydrogen peroxide. But being a premium bioactive honey, it must also contain additional non-peroxide factors which boost its ability to fight bacteria.
At Berringa, we look for the key naturally occurring chemical markers that are found in Manuka Honey (MGO and DHA) to determine its purity. Whilst we use MGO to measure its level of antibacterial activity.
MGO is found only in Leptospermum honey and is a clear indicator of a Berringa Manuka Honey’s antibacterial strength.
The MGO you choose really should be dependent on your intended use and how strong you want the antibacterial activity to be (we have detailed some of the uses further up this page, but we list more applications further down).
Berringa Manuka honey can also stop the growth of bacteria by drawing away moisture in a wound and dehydrating the bacteria. This is because it has a high sugar and low moisture content.
It’s also acidic, with a pH between 3.2 and 4.5 (the pH of your blood is around 7.35-7.45). Persistent wounds tend to have a highly alkaline environment that isn’t ideal for healing, so adding some Manuka can help to create an environment that promotes healing.
Put all of these factors together and you’ve got yourself a super honey – and below is a list of all the applications we know of (well the sensible ones!).
Scientific research has been completed over the years to find out how effective honey is for medicinal and health use. It’s been shown that Manuka and other bioactive honeys may kill some types of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, help to heal wounds and reduce inflammation, among other benefits.
Berringa Australian Manuka Honey is some of the highest quality and most antibacterial honey in the world. Some of the great health benefits of our honey include:
- A prebiotic effect that helps to maintain a healthy digestive system and may assist in promoting beneficial bacteria.
- Stimulating and boosting the immune system and reducing inflammation.
- Antioxidants that may assist in protecting the body from harmful free radicals.
- Providing relief for coughs, colds and sore throats, mild upper respiratory infections and indigestion.
- Providing symptomatic relief of minor wounds, burns, eczema, psoriasis on the skin and cold sores.
- Managing symptoms of gingivitis, including reducing plaque levels and bleeding.
- Managing eye and ear infections.
- Managing antibiotic-resistant Golden Staph infections.
Some medical advice to keep in mind
Berringa Australian Manuka Honey is free from most allergens, including nuts and seeds, lactose, gluten, and doesn’t contain artificial colours or preservatives. It’s suitable for vegetarians, coeliacs, and those who are lactose intolerant.
However, as with anything edible, allergies and other medical conditions should always be kept in mind. Some things to note:
- Avoid honey if you are allergic to bees, or allergic to the pollen from which the honey is made.
- Honey consumption is not recommended for people following the FODMAP diet. Topical use may be suitable, but please conduct a skin patch test initially.
- Honey can increase blood sugar levels, so diabetics should be aware if consuming honey.
- There’s a risk that honey can interfere with some drugs or therapies, including some chemotherapy drugs.
- Honey is safe for pregnant women, but avoid medicinal amounts or topical use.
- Raw honey is not recommended for consumption in children under 12 months of age because there is a risk of botulism poisoning.
|Unit Of Measure||Each|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other FOURBODY - Your Friend in Health users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.