Blackmores Professional SPS
Sodium phosphate and silicon dioxide (silica)
Sodium and phosphate are involved in the regulation of extracellular fluid and pH. Silica is an important connective tissue cross-linking agent, and is required for the production and structural integrity of bone, cartilage, skin, hair, nails and soft tissues.
Features of Blackmores Professional SPS
- Combines sodium phosphate and silica in a single tablet.
- When prescribed by a healthcare professional S.P.S. is generally well tolerated at the recommended dose, and may be prescribed for infants, children, pregnant and lactating women, and the elderly.
- The easy-to-swallow tablet can be halved or crushed to facilitate low-dose prescribing for infants and children.
- Sodium and phosphate are involved in the regulation of extracellular fluid. Silica is important for maintaining connective tissue integrity.
- Acid-base balance: One of the body’s important mechanisms for maintaining intracellular acid-base balance is the phosphate buffer system, in which sodium monohydrogen phosphate and sodium dihydrogen phosphate act as efficient buffers in acid and alkaline conditions respectively.
- Connective tissue: Silica acts as an important connective tissue cross-linking agent, contributing to the architecture and resilience of connective tissue by building bridges between elastin, collagen and mucopolysaccharides (such as chondroitin sulfate and other glycosaminoglycans), which aids in tissue stability and rigidity.
- Bone, cartilage and teeth: In the early stages of bone development, silica is intimately involved in the incorporation of calcium and phosphate into bone apatite, helping to increase the rate of mineralisation of new bone. It acts as a nucleating agent or seed crystal around which bone mineralisation progresses, and thus is necessary for the initiation of bone growth (for example during foetal development and bone repair). Silica is also involved in the growth of cartilage and teeth.
Blackmores Professional SPS Active Ingredients
- Sodium phosphate - dibasic anhydrous 260 mg
- (elemental sodium 84.2mg)
- Silicon dioxide 33 mg
- (contains 150mg of lactose per tablet)
Dosage for Blackmores Professional SPS
Adults - Take 1 tablet 3 times a day with meals, or as professionally prescribed.
Children under 12 years - As professionally prescribed.
Contraindications & Interactions
Caution may be required in some patients due to sodium content.
Sodium may increase the risk of oedema associated with antihypertensive agents (calcium channel blockers, vasodilators), corticosteroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents, oestrogens, liquorice and carbenoxolone.